Thursday, January 22, 2009

Another lost meal

I came home from the barn this afternoon late, cold and stiff from the first ride in three weeks, ran myself a deep, hot bath with Epsom salts, baking soda, and lavender oil. I soaked for half an hour or so and then got out and put on my pajamas. Goodie was expected home from the barn about 6:30, CB was upstairs reading, and Locket was doing homework. Dear Husband was at aikido and not expected home for supper. A perfect night for a Dutch baby and some chicken sausages.

I wandered into the kitchen and turned on the oven. I unpacked the apples I had bought on the way home and was getting out the ingredients for a Yorkshire pudding (that forms the swaddling for the baby -- it gets filled with cooked apples) when Locket drifted in and asked why I was wearing my jammies. "Because I'm not going out again." "Aren't you taking me to rehearsal?" "What rehearsal? You have a rehearsal tonight? You could have let me know." "I though you knew." "I didn't and I guess that means getting dressed again and that's the end of supper." "Oh," says Locket. "I need to go really soon."

In the end I made myself some grits and eggs and called it dinner and made yet another trip to Keene. I spent the rehearsal sitting in Starbucks reading the NY Times and not eating a cupcake.

Last night's dinner did get cooked, by CB, and apparently was quite tasty.

I'll be really glad when this production of Locket's is over; I don't know what I was thinking when I suggested she audition. Actually, I do know. She auditioned in November when January seemed very far away and two rehearsals didn't seem so onerous as they do now that I'm driving 1/2 hour to them. The good news is the production goes up the first week in February and only runs two weekends; until then I guess I'll spend plenty of time in Starbucks.

No comments:

Post a Comment